The fuel journey
So much more goes into getting gasoline and diesel to your vehicle than you may realize. Join us as we take you on a journey from oil exploration to pumping gas or diesel at your local Esso-branded station.
How we get fuel to your vehicle
Refining oil into fuel and other products
Refining is the process by which crude oil is turned into everyday products.
- Crude oil is refined into gasoline, diesel, propane and other petroleum products such as feedstocks, which are used to make plastics found in vehicles, plasma TVs and more
- From the refinery, gasoline and diesel fuels are transported via pipelines, ships and railways to terminals
Formulating high quality Esso-branded fuel
It is at the terminals that Imperial adds detergents and additives to our gasoline to formulate our own unique, high quality blends.
- Detergents are added to gasoline to help clean fuel injectors, intake valves and other engine parts*
- Esso-branded gasoline contains significantly more detergents than the minimum quantity required by the Canadian Government Standards Board (CGSB) and has passed other performance tests, resulting in it being certified TOP TIER
- Ethanol is blended into the gasoline. This is done to meet Canada’s Renewable Fuels Regulations requirements for reducing emissions from the burning of fossil fuels. Gasoline with 10% ethanol is approved for use by all automotive vehicle manufacturers in North America
- Our gasolines are available in three grades across the country and in four grades in most of the Greater Toronto Area
- We conduct tests to verify that the fuel we manufacture meets or exceeds engine builder, industry and government specifications
Getting the fuel to your tank
Once the fuels are mixed to Imperial’s exacting standards, they are delivered by truck to individual stations all across the country.
- The trucks have different compartments so that the gasoline grades and diesel fuels are transported separately
- The fuels are pumped from the separate truck compartments into designated holding tanks
- When you select a gas grade at the pump, the gas is drawn from the corresponding tank