How our fuel works
Turning energy into motion.
Take a closer look at how Esso fuels work
Each piece of your engine needs to work with absolute precision. Learn how Esso fuels are engineered at a molecular level to keep vital engine parts clean. Travel through an engine to see how our gasoline works to help keep your engine running smoothly.
- Each injection pulse mixes fuel with air
- Dirty injectors can interfere with the mixing of the fuel with air
- Our fuel helps keep these vital engine parts clean*
- Intake valves open at the precise moment the air/fuel mixture enters the cylinder
- Our gasoline is engineered at the molecular level to help clean-up this vital engine part*
- Cleaner valves lead to smoother airflow and fuel mixture
- This is one of the most vital parts of the engine
- Everything must come together perfectly for good performance
- Our gasoline is designed on a molecular level to help keep your engine clean*
- The exhaust valve is where the combustion gases are discharged
- High-quality fuel helps reduce your car’s emissions.*
Quality fuels to get you where you’re going
Discover what steps we take to ensure the quality of our fuels.
The right fuel for your vehicle
Get more out of your engine, and your journey, with Synergy™ gasoline.
Get more out of every trip
Explore our comprehensive list of tips to help you improve fuel efficiency and get more out of every trip.
TOP TIER Synergy™ gasoline
Get the facts about Synergy gasoline, including what makes it TOP TIER® and what grades we offer.
Esso and Esso Extra are trademarks of Imperial Oil Limited. Imperial Oil, licensee.
*Applies to Esso-branded gasoline compared to gasoline meeting minimum Canadian government detergency standards, where applicable. Actual benefits vary depending on factors such as vehicle type, driving style, and gasoline previously used.